Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Autumn's Chicken Parm

I know that chicken parm is a pretty easy dish, but I make mine a little different than most. The biggest change you'll see is I use no flour. I substitute it with Parmesan cheese. I find the flavor is soo yummy and it seems to crisp better! Just try it! First, I must tell you I don't measure ANYTHING so I'm sorry that you are going to have to do a little guessing here! :)
Ingredients:
Chicken
Pasta (of your choice)
Sauce (store bought or homemade)
Parmesan Cheese (grated)
Eggs
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Oil (I like EVOO but you can use vegetable oil if you want)
Directions:
I always put my water to boil, make my sauce let it simmer, then start on the chicken process. I've taken pictures of all the steps so you can see what it's supposed to look like!
You're going to want to get your chicken pan and oil hot right now. The most important part of making good chicken parm is that your pan and your oil are hot enough, so don't think you're starting it too soon, you'll probably still have to wait for it to heat up enough. Get a deep dish and crack eggs in it (1 egg per piece of chicken) add salt and pepper and mix with a fork to get your egg wash. Next you'll get a similar bowl and put enough Parmesan in to thinly coat the bottom of the bowl. So, get your chicken salt and pepper BOTH sides and let them soak in the egg wash.
Take a small chunk of the Parmesan and make sure the oil is hot enough by dropping it into the oil. If it bubbles, it's hot enough, if not wait and retry this step. So after your oil is hot enough move the chicken from the egg wash into the Parmesan. Pat the Parmesan on both sides of the chicken, if you need to add more Parmesan to your bowl, go ahead! Now when your oil is hot enough you are going to CAREFULLY put the chicken in the pan and let it cook. You don't want to flip it until it's golden brown. Flip it once making sure both sides are golden brown and finish cooking in the oven at 450 degrees until the chicken is done and there is no pink on the inside (for all 6 of our pieces it takes about 20 min). While the chicken is in the oven boil the pasta.
Once chicken is cooked slice and serve over pasta and sauce! Bon Appetite!!

3 comments:

The Mathews Family said...

Yummy! Any cheesy substitution is FINE BY ME! ;0)

JJ said...

My husband LOVED this chicken. He can't eat tomato sauce so I just did it plain with a flavored pasta as a side. Yummm!

Mrs.EBG said...

I'm so glad he liked it!! You guys are helping me convince my hubby that paying for culinary school WAS a good idea! :)